The information below relates to the International Experience Canada (IEC), including the Working Holiday, Young Professionals, and International Co-op (Internship) pools.
You must be aged 18 to 35 (inclusive) to apply
For the Working Holiday and Young Professionals categories, you can stay in Canada for 24 months from the date you enter Canada. For the International Co-Op (Internship), you can stay in Canada for twelve months from the date you enter Canada.
- You must be a citizen of Ireland with an Irish passport valid for your stay in Canada
- You must have a return ticket or enough funds to be able to purchase one
- You must have at least 2,500 CAD (approximately €1,725), however the more you can bring, the better it will be should you find it difficult to secure employment
- Your dependants cannot come with you to Canada under the IEC program. However, they may apply to visit, study or work in Canada. Your application is assessed separately from theirs
- You must have health insurance cover for the duration of your stay
- You must not be inadmissible to Canada. Find out if you are inadmissible to Canada here
- Young Professionals category only: have a signed letter of offer or contract of employment in Canada (this must be in your field of expertise and contribute to your professional development)
- International Co-Op (Internship) category only: be registered as a student at a postsecondary institution in Ireland, and have a signed letter of offer or a signed contract for a work placement or an internship in Canada that meets the requirements of your academic curriculum in Ireland
Number of visas available:
Details pending (there were 10,700 visas available to Irish applicants in 2019)
$156 plus biometrics fee for applicants that require it (almost all applicants)
At least ten weeks
How to apply:
Before you can apply, you need to create an online profile expressing your interest in the IEC. Successful candidates are then invited to complete an application for a work permit in one or more of the categories or pools, subject to eligibility and availability.
Embassy of Canada to Ireland
7-8 Wilton Terrace 3rd floor
Tel: (01) 234 4000
Watch Back Our IEC Webinars
In partnership with our colleagues at the Eamonn O’Loghlin Irish Canadian Immigration Centre (I/CAN), we regularly run information sessions on going to Canada on an IEC visa. Watch back our previous webinars on going to Toronto and Vancouver below and keep an eye on our events page for announcements and details on upcoming sessions.